Friday, April 18, 2014

Bend Me, Fold Me

On the Daring Cardmakers blog this week, it's my turn to set the challenge:

Another Dimension 
  not Time Warps, Little Green Men from Mars, or anything else "other-world"
  I just don't want to see any flat, regular sort of cards this week - instead I'd like to see lots of interesting folds and shapes; Stepper cards, Card in a Box, Pyramids, Flip-it type cards..... Anything goes as long as the finished, standing-up card is more 3D than 2D. 
This is your chance to try out all those techniques and tutorials for unusually shaped and folded cards that you've been saving!  Yes. we all do it, don't we?

My first thought was to do another "card in a box", but I had a feeling someone else might go down that route (and I was right) so then I was all set to do a pyramid card - but I've done those before and although they are fun to make and I've not done one for ages, what I really wanted was to try something new.
So, searching through my "must try this sometime" list I came across a Bendy-fold" tutorial from Splitcoaststampers.
I love cards that stand out all over the place when on display but will fold at least relatively flat to go in an envelope - it makes it so much more fun, doesn't it? The card-in-a-box, and the pyramid ones do that, and this curvy card does it too - although how flat depends on how much "stuff" you stick on hehe
The magic bit is all done with slits and tabs.



I used a whole raft of odds and ends of card and paper for this so I'm not even going to try and list that sort of stuff
The little summerhouse is all just hand cut,with the "wood" planks drawn on - it's supposed to look a bit ramshackle, honestly!
The bushes, some bits of grass and stems were also hand-cut
For the flowers I used a few ready-made flowers plus quite a lot of punches  (Tonic) and dies from Spellbinders, MFT Die-Namics, Memory Box and Marion Smith. The tree is by Memory Box
Also used: Stickles, Card Candy, Liquid Pearls

You can find the tutorial for making a bendy-card HERE
This took far longer to make than it should - I got a bit carried away with the flowers - not helped because the little flower-shaping gadget and new dies from Marion Smith arrived on Wednesday and were screaming "play with me....NOW"  so, some of the flowers were made with those.
Anyway, that's my card for this week and you can see some fantastic fancy folds and dimensional cards over on the BLOG

That's all for this time - except to wish you a Happy Easter
Thanks for visiting

5 comments:

Kath said...

Great card, Kathy. I have been wondering about the flower tool myself. Is it good?

This is a really pretty card and I am sure anyone would be delighted to receive it.

Happy Easter to you too.

Kaz said...

What a fab card Kathy, it really must have taken a while, but so worth it!
I bet you were surrounded by flowers and paper by the end! xxx

Jo said...

This was such a tricky dare - thank you for the challenge!

Your card is simply stunning :D

jo x

Traceyr said...

This is brilliant Kathy and a treat for anyone to receive. I can't believe it folds flat and fits in an envelope! You are so clever. x

:)

Kate said...

Beautiful card Kathy, stunning flowers!

~Kate~